Hereford Elementary School Monthly Blog
Annual Project Fair 2.0
Hereford Elementary students prove you don’t have to wait until tomorrow to change the world today.
Alternative Sources of Energy
Enrique - Grade 3
Our annual Project Fair was held on Friday, October 23, 2015. Hereford students had the opportunity to choose one of three project ideas based on this year’s school theme of Finding Solutions. Students had the opportunity to select one of the areas of focus:
- When I grow up, I can change the world by…;
- Develop a community service project; or
- Identify and solve a global or local problem.
This year’s fair was facilitated by Mrs. Bianco (grade 5), Mrs. Rice (grade 4), Mrs. Fried (grade 3) and Ms. Unruh (grade 2). More than 30 projects were presented by students from kindergarten through fifth grades. Selected topics included:
- cleaning up a local park;
- finding alternative methods to grow plants;
- animal cruelty awareness and prevention;
- developing a dog park at Pennsburg Square; and
- identifying alternative sources of energy.
Volunteering In a Senior Living Facility
Morgan & Amanda - Grade 5
Raising Funding for Those in Need
Trenton - Grade 1
In Our Classrooms
Fall conferences provide a time to reflect on individual student progress and plan for the future.
Parent Teacher Conferences
It is hard to believe that parent/teacher conferences are already upon us for the 2015-2016 school year! The first semester does not officially close until Friday, December 4th. This means that finalized report cards will not be available for release until Wednesday, December 9th. As you know, conferences are a very brief 15 minute time frame and there is a lot of information to cover. In preparation, here are some discussion items to reflect upon prior to your child’s conference:
- What can you, as the parent, share about your child’s strengths, weaknesses or about school in general?
- Academic Achievement
- What is your child's instructional reading level?
- How does it relate to other children in this grade?
- What strengths are demonstrated?
- What skills need improvement?
- What assistance is the student receiving in school?
- How can you help as parents?
- What skills will be taught this year?
- Has the student received awards?
- Does the student excel in library, technology, art, music or physical education?
- Work Habits
- Is your child an independent worker?
- Does your child need frequent monitoring?
- Are assignments completed?
- Social Relationships
- Does your child get along well with other pupils?
- Is your child a leader?
- Does your child volunteer and participate in class?
- Does your child cooperate and follow school/classroom rules?
- Is attendance a problem?
- Is your child frequently late?
Our goal is to meet face-to-face with 100% of our families. We look forward to seeing you!
Don’t forget that you can access your child’s up-to-date records at any time by following the directions provided below:
Skyward Family Access
Check your child’s progress at any time!
To access the Skyward program you will need the following:
To initially log onto Skyward follow these steps:
In Our Community
New updates to the Hereford Elementary website focus on improving communication.
Have you been to our “new and improved” Hereford Elementary School website yet? As of Friday, November 13, 2015, Hereford’s website has undergone an extensive makeover! In addition to an archived spot for these monthly newsletters (blogs), our re-launched website now includes:
- Updated parent information forms;
- Live Google Student Calendar of Events;
- Google Site Web Pages for all classroom and special area teachers;
- FLITE school blog;
- Updated PTFS tab that includes ways to get involved with our exciting events; and
- Links to Mr. Fries’ and Mrs. Zavadel’s Hereford Twitter feeds
As stated in our district’s goals: The Upper Perkiomen School District is committed to consistent, open and timely communication in order to develop a collaborative environment.
Hereford Elementary School is proud to honor the district’s vision with this updated method of staying connected to the many wonderful things that are happening here at your child’s school. Please visit our new website: http://www.upsd.org/Page/373.
Hereford Elementary School
1043 Gravel Pike
Hereford, PA 18056
Monthly Blog: http://jpfries.blogspot.com/